From January of 2008 Tennis Ireland have implemented the following policies in regards to the running of Under 8, Under 9 and Under 10 competitions.
All Under 8, Under 9 and Under 10 competitions are to be played:
- On a modified court:
- Mini for Under 8’s,
- Midi for Under 9’s &
- Full Court for Under 10’s.
- For Competitions organized in 2014, children need to be born 2006 for Under 8, 2005 for Under 9 and 2004 for Under 10.
- With modified rackets appropriate to the height of the child.
- With modified ball density:
- Red spot for Mini
- Orange spot for Midi
- Green spot for Under 10s full court.
- With a competition format that allows multi matches – Round Robin – World Cup – Feed in and Play back draws etc.
- With a modified scoring system – Best of 3 tie breaks for Mini Tennis (each tie break up to 10 points). Short sets commencing at 2 games all and first to six games, first point after deuce, Tie Breaker in the 3rd set for Midi and Full Court Tennis. Modified scoring systems are now part of the ITFs ammended rules of tennis.
Due to time constraints Competition Organizers may feel the need to reduce the games played further. For example in the early stages of a Round Robin event, the organizers may decide to play one short set with first to six games starting from two games all and first point after deuce to decide a match result.