24 Sep Together for Hospice Tennis Event
We believe that by working together with all our clubs both on and off court that we can create a fun, engaging opportunity to raise money for local hospices. Many people will have had experiences with their local hospice and their services very much link with our concept of tennis being a Sport For Life.
How to Get Involved
- Check with your club committee or club coach about an event they have planned for Friday 1st October 2021
- Raise some money!
- Your club submits all funds raised to the local hospice so the donation is direct and from your club.
- Your club can let us know the total amount raised to Tennis Ireland (email@example.com) and tagging Tennis Ireland in any photos of the event on social media!
Here are some ideas that have also come through Alan Beaddie & TCI on what to do for your club event:
The overall idea is to organize a fund-raising on and off-court event (in line with Covid Guidelines), with the proceeds going to your local Hospice. Every tennis club in Ireland has a Hospice in its area – you can see on the attached spreadsheet which local Hospice the funds raised at your club will be donated to.
Alan has put together some very useful pointers for running an event at your club:
- Try to keep on court play to a maximum of 2 hours, with two separate groups.
- Try to give everyone 2 thirty minute or a 1 hour session on court, i.e. if you have four courts you should try to get 32 players, 6 courts, 48 players etc.
- Generally best to play proper games with short deuce, as opposed to tie breaks.
- With regard to scorekeeping, prizes etc- that is up to each club
- Another option would be to have 3 separate tennis sessions of 40 minutes each time – this way players get one short match but you can get more players signed up and therefore more finance raised.
- The planned date to run the event is Friday October 1st, but If your club has no floodlights or only lights on some courts, you could start early or run your event on the Saturday.
- Run an auction if your club can get good items to auction.
- BBQ – get a local supermarket/ butcher/ wholesaler to sponsor it
- Make sure the bar is open from the start and if no bar facilities are available, make it a BYOB evening.
- Give a target to each participant of €110, and each club a target of €2021- but let them know that every contribution – no matter how small or big – is a great help.
- Have some home made sponsorship cards available
- Club Treasurer/Chair/President/Trustee collects all funds.
- All monies raised go directly to the clubs local Hospice.
TCI is delighted to work with Alan and Tennis Ireland to assist an important cause. We believe that the local publicity that these events will generate will also shine a positive light on the role played in our communities by the game of tennis, and those who teach and organize it.
Please contact Alan on 086 389 2088 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to discuss the possibilities.
To find out more about Together for Hospice and the great work they do, see here: https://www.togetherforhospice.ie/