10 May World Tennis Number Club Round Robin
Tennis Ireland recently launched the ITF World Tennis Number with an Invitational Event featuring some of our top players, becoming one of the first countries in the world to do so.
We would now like to begin the process of introducing the ITF World Tennis Number and some of the many benefits to all our players.
We are running a club-based World Tennis Number Club Round Robin from May 24th.
It will be a world’s first use of the World Tennis Number on a National level.
Using the ITF World Tennis Number in the background we will create Round Robin Groups of 3-5 players of similar levels amongst those that have entered in your club.
In a nutshell, what is the ITF World Tennis Number?
- It is a rating system for all tennis players.
- It is gender-less and age-less allowing play against similar rated players.
- Every set counts, not just the overall result.
Who can participate in this World Tennis Number Activity?
- Any player registered on our database who is member of an affiliated participating club.
- Players over 12 on 1st January 2021 (Born 2008 or before)
- Any queries should be addressed to NPD@tennisireland.ie.
How Will This World Tennis Number Club Round Robin Work?
- Simply enter online on HERE, selecting your club.
- This World Tennis Number activity is free to enter.
- Online entry will be open from the 11th to 18th of May.
- Once online entry is closed, Tennis Ireland will then organise multiple Round Robin groups of 3 to 5 players, within each participating club.
These groups will be made up of players of a similar level irrespective of gender/age, and we will use the World Tennis Number in the background to help us make them.
All games will be played in your own club.
- Groups will be published HERE.
- Standard club restrictions will apply:
- Book a court as normal.
- Organise your own games and contact each other following standard club procedures.
- Supply your own tennis balls.
When does it take place?
- Play starts May 24th and runs until June 6th.
- You will have the 2 weeks to play, no penalties for not playing though we hope everyone that signs up will.
- Contact other players within their group, following the standard club protocols that are in place.
Anything different about Juniors?
- All communications to and from Juniors with other players must be done by their parents/guardian as per standard Child Safeguarding guidelines.
- Standard club regulations and Covid restrictions continue to apply with regards to supervision.
- All juniors should have a parent or guardian present for all games, irrespective of their opponent.
What is the playing format?
- Depending on a clubs own booking slots, players will have the option to play either 2 sets + Championship Tie-break with NO advantage or Fast Fours (How to play Fast Fours).
Typically if a booking time slot is limited to 1 hour, then play Fast 4, if 1.5 hrs, then 2 sets no-advantage works.
- Games should stop at the end of the booking period. Incomplete games get recorded as well with relevant score: every set counts, not only the final result.
- Both players enter the result on our easy ONLINE FORM or send it by email to NPD@tennisireland.ie.
- In case of dispute, on or off court, that cannot be resolved amicably, the games result is void. No impact for either player on their rating.
- No penalty if a player does not or cannot play.
Why run this World Tennis Number Activity?
- To further educate players about the World Tennis Number and it’s benefits.
- Getting people playing against different players in their clubs.
- Trying out mixed singles games.
- This will also allow us and the International Tennis Federation to further improve the accuracy of the World Tennis Number: the more games, the better the algorithm works.
- Fun Prize draws for both clubs and participants during the two weeks.